...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Monday, March 31, 2014

Frank Sinatra - songs for swingin' lovers! (1956)

Frank Sinatra - songs for swingin' lovers!  SACD (mono)

 I grew up listening to Sinatra...and this album was a regular spin in my household.  My mom was a Sinatra- head and this album is indelibly stamped in my mind.  I have only ever heard the stereo mix so i was super excited to hear that Mofi was releasing the mono mix!

  The album is IMHO musically a masterpiece.......and album that needs no introduction or likely further reviews so i will keep this one super short.

  Let me just say that this may be the pinnacle Nelson Riddle : Sinatra album!!!!!

  Once again Shawn Britton got the task to SACD'ize this mono masterpiece and did IMHO a wonderful job.   The music is super clear and powerful at slightly elevated levels with excellent dynamics.  I would not put this in the same league as the Nat King Cole SACD masters from a few years ago, but having said this is still a delicious morsel.     There is excellent speaker distinction on Sinatra's voice in particular and nice deep bass tones throughout.  The orchestra is a bit back behind his voice all the way thru which is very different from the stereo mix.  Fans of the vintage Riddle "booms" and the "baaahs" might be a bit dissapointed in this characterization of the album......especially those used to the stereo mix.   But don't think this SACD is not dynamic cause it certainly is and it is a pure joy to listen to......just a different more relaxed mix than I am used to!

  If you are into this album then this SACD is pretty much an essential pick up..........



No comments: