...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Jean-Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean (1977)

Jean-Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean 

  It was at University when I discovered the music of Jean-Luc Ponty!    It all started later for me with his awesome album "individual choice" and then I was hooked.  Over the years I have been picking up Ponty albums as I find them to fill in my collection.  Not one bad album in the lot !

  INHO 1977's Enigmatic Ocean is one of JLP's finest albums with jazz , fusion, rock and prog tendencies.  Ponty also assembled a star studded line up with Genesis' Daryl Stuermmer on guitar, Allan Holdsworth on guitars and Steve Smith (Vital Information) on the drums and percussion.

  Musically this album ebbs and flows with some fantatstic keyboard space fusion over which Stuermer and Holdsworth add great guitar bits and Ponty paints with his arsenal of violins.  At times this album sounds like Genesis aka Lamb Lies Down without any vocals and with violin...however crazy that sounds!

No comments: