...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Opeth - Heritage (2011)

Opeth - Heritage, 2011 Roadrunner Records (5.1 Mix)

  Heritage is Opeth`s 10th album and although I am not a big fan of their gueling and oft-tortured vocals that normally satiate their music,  it is on this album (like Damnation) where they push that aside and what is left over is a great album that should not be missed.    Fans of the Goth-Metal Opeth will likely not rant and rave about this album, but fans of Progressive Rock likely will !  I will say that drummer Martin Axenrot is simply one of the best drummers I have heard since PT`s Gavin Harrison.  The music on Heritage is inspired and marks a big shift in Opeth`s sound (again i think mostly cause the vocals are so different). 
   Also I love the heavy use of Mellotron on this album and in many ways it feels like a bit of Anglaggard meets Anekdoten meets Opeth...hmmmmmm.   I guess I should mention for those who have 5.1 play back capability that PT`s Steve Wilson mixed the 5.1 version of this album which does sound excellent on a good 5.1 capable stereo.         

No comments: