...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Sunday, May 26, 2013

STYX - The Grand Illusion (1977)

STYX - The Grand Illusion (A&M audiophile series LP)

  The Grand Illusion was one of the albums I grew up listening to and really became part of my childhood.  No question songs like "Fooling Yourself" , "Superstars" and "Man In The Wilderness" were huge songs in my life.  "Come sail away" was a roller skating staple on every sunday living up North in Canada! 
      

     I have never heard this album sound as good as it does on this half speed mastered LP!   Fans of this album will need to hunt down a copy of this version as it is just that good !    You wont believe "castle walls" when you hear this version with total clarity like I have never heard before.  For example I never heard the hand percussion on this song before yet now it stands out .   Also some of the vocal harmonies sound totally distinct and clear....it really puts a whole new perspective on this treasured album!

   The Grand Illusion was in my opinion the height of their career with a perfect blend of progressive, rock and pop with some of the best songs from their career. 


No comments: