...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Monday, February 24, 2014

Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies (1973)

Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies , SACD

Billion Dollar Babies was one of THE albums that I grew up with...........my brother and I played this album a "billion" times over. The album is a pure classic of 70's rock and remains IMHO one of Cooper's finest album (along with 1971's Killers). Side note: Steve Hoffman's 24 KT Audio Fidelity is also a superb audio discovery (HDCD) and I highly recommend this version too.

This SACD version comes with a replica CD sized fold out One Billion Dollar bill as a teaser in ode of the original vinyl. I own the original vinyl and 2001's double Warner Archives CD remastered version by Dan Hersch and Bill Inglot but Hoffman's SACD easily steals the show here offering the richest and widest sound of this precious rock artifact that I have ever heard!

Hoffman has brought out dynamics and detail I never even knew existed and this disc honestly has brought this album finally to life! The detail and soundscape is quite dynamic and offers excellent seperation and deep tones. I really noticed the depth on the title track and Generation Landslide with warm but wide instrumental and vocal seperation. On Generation Landslide the acoustic is right to the left of you while the harmonica balances the far right and both sound like they are right there in your living room with you.

The bass is also nicely balanced and deep in tone and quality......another very noticeable aspect of this SACD.

If you are a fan of this album then this is an essential purchase.

Mr. Hoffman we owe you a "Billion" for giving us this album in glorius SACD!

No comments: