...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Polly Bergen sings songs of Helen Morgan (1957)

Polly Bergen: Bergen sings  Morgan

  I first heard the voice of Polly Bergen totally by chance and I knew I had to hunt more of her music down.  "Sings songs of Helen Morgan" was her first on Columbia Records and was partially the results of her Emmy-winning appearance in The Helen Morgan Story.   This album is a fantastic example of her beautiful and powerful voice.  

   Orchestration is handled by Luther Henderson and nicely compliments Bergens vox!  

   This album is a fine collection of old standards and songs of Helen Morgan sung in Bergen's way.  I am a big fan of the 50's female crooner scene.....June Christy..Helen Merill, Jane Morgan, Julie London and I would put Polly Bergen's early albums right at the top of the pile!

No comments: