...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Gabor Szabo - Jazz Raga (1967)


Gabor Szabo - Jazz Raga, Impulse ! Records, 1967

   I first became an instant fan of Gabor's when I first heard "High Contrast" and started picking up his albums with "Jazz Raga" having not ben too far away from my CD player since.  This album is a wild mix of Indo-fusion with Jazz, pop and psychedelic imaging.   Of course Szabo delivers his classic and distinctive six-string styling but this time melds this with the some pretty trippy and 60's infused hypnotic sitar. 

   I think at times this albums sounds like Gabor is just twiddling with thte sitar but this really works for me.  ....even if the sitar is off key a few times and sounds like my son Liam is on the room plucking my sitar strings !   Oh yeah he plays a pretty psychy version of the Stones classic "Paint It Black" as well as a Duke Ellington and a George Gershwin tune.  This album is a great listen and an album i have really enjoyed.

No comments: