...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Brandi Carlile - Give Up The Ghost (2009)

Brandi Carlile - Give Up The Ghost (2009)

  I had only heard one song from this acclaimed album when I picked this beauty up and almost had a mid-life crisis as I found myself buying and liking "New Country".....yikes....  However don't fret it kids,,,,,,this is not really "New Country" (phew !) and is as much rock and roll and it is country.   Brandi's vocals are strangely and beautifully rough as is her range.   The other striking feature of this album is the fit of her voice to that of the music.   "Give Up The Ghost" is an honest not overly produced album (which is surprising considering Rick Rubin was the producer) that blends country flavors with that of rock and pop genres.  Elton John makes a guest appearance as well and the end result is an excellent album that I have played a lot.

2 comments:

Jeff Ferguson said...

Hey...where did you here that one song?

James Unger said...

Jeff....you have introduced me to LOTS of music over the years ...this is one of many. I picked this up for only a few bucks and really enjoyed it....

I remember you playing this and i really liked it.