...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Bee Gees - 1st (1967)

Bee Gees - 1st, 1967 Reprise Remastered Box Set 

    Bon Voyage Robin.........my god am I going to miss you !
   The first Bee Gee's album is one of my top 10 albums of all time........and a desert Island pick for me (as long as I can have Reprise remastered version !)     Half Pysch...half pop.....this album spent 26 weeks on the British album charts in 1967 !  Originally the Bee Gees were a 5 piece band then 4....with the 3 brothers and  Colin Petersen (drums).    "In My Own Time" is about as close to the Beatles as they ever got while "Every Christian" took us deep into the psych-pop genre.   If you have not heard the early Bee Gee albums then you are truely missing out !   Huge vocal harmonies, beautiful songs and some of the most memorable melodies ever put to record.   I love their second and third albums too, but nothing ever matched the magic of this one!    The Reprise remasters are absolutely essential with each of the first 3 albums being a 2 disc of mono and stereo mixes ...very very nice !   and a ton of extra tracks and demo versions ...not the usual meaningless extras either....very very nice !   very very nice !

No comments: