...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Count Basie - The Count ! (1956)

Count Basie - The Count!
  
   I wish I knew more about this album....all i could find was that it was released in 1956 in mono on Cliff Records.  My vinyl copy is a Japanese reissue K1 7908 and sounds awesome.  On this album I can only assume Count is doing the piano and the odd bit of organ but it is the huge orchestra that makes this whole thing come absolutely alive!

If you love big band then this album is for you !!!  Bang bam boom!!!

  The count has his band well oiled and this album does not stop right from the opening.  Lots of brass...lots of electricity and sone great piano along the way.  I know that there is another Count album on Cliff Records from 1956 that has Oscar Peterson on the piano so perhaps that is who is playing here.  There are no liner notes so if anyone knows please let me know.

Songs performed incuded The New Basie Blues, Sure thing, why not, fawncy meeting you, bootsie, tom whaley, paradise squat, Basie talks, hob nail boogie, jack and jill, bunny and cash box.

No comments: