...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Dave Brubeck - Jazz Impressions of Eurasia (1958)

Dave Brubeck - Jazz Impressions of Eurasia

"Time Out" was THE jazz album as a kid i played to death thanks to my mom.  The only sad thing was that this was also the only jazz album we owned and it wasnt until my Grandpa played me jazz that I developed an ear for it.  I grew up listening to Dave Brubeck and "Jazz Impressions" was an album I picked up much later in life.

In fact my copy is the original Columbia Mono version on vinyl which sounds simply killer

Dave Brubeck takes on the Eurasian scene – with wonderfully groovy results! The album's one of Brubeck's first in the "impressions" series, and it's a really colorful assortment of tunes – tracks with some lyrical and exotic moments that come through strongly, and which really offer a slightly different take on the Brubeck groove. Paul Desmond's alto sax is key to the sound here, and so is the progressive percussion of Joe Morello – and in addition to Brubeck's piano, the quartet also features bass from Joe Benjamin. Titles are all originals by Dave, and they include "Calcutta Blues", "Marble Arch", "Brandenburg Gate", "Nomad", and "The Golden Horn".

No comments: