...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ween - The Mollusk (1997)

Ween - The Mollusk (1997) Elektra Records

  Here is the story on this one.............So I picked up the "Sponge Bob Squarepants" movie soundtrack as it featured a nice mix of some of my fav bands doing kiddie tunes (a win win with 2 kids in the house).  There was a tune on that CD that really caught my ear and that was Ocean Man by Ween.    So I thought I'd pick up the whole album and boy-oh-boy was I glad I did !    Ween's The Mollusk is simply an amazing album that on the surface feels like a humorous kiddie album but "below the surface" is a real gem just waiting to get "caught".    Heavily nautically themed album buoying a progressive rock influence with lots of quirky vocals and superb muscianship.   I think the tune "Buckingham Green" is one of the great songs of 1997.   This is one of those albums that you need to listen to a few times before you will 100% grasp it and soon you will realize that this is way more that a light humourous quirky album.

No comments: