...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (1975)

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here 1975 (SACD)
  
WOW ! I got the same wow-factor when I heard the SACD version of Dark Side ! The hair on the back of my neck stood up and I smiled ear to ear ! Really!  

  This deluxe SACD reissue from APO of Pink Floyd's masterpiece Wish You Were Here was mixed for both 5.1 surround sound and 2-channel stereo from the original analog master tapes by Pink Floyd's Producer/Engineer James Guthrie
This recording is far superior to the redbook standard CD version IMHO. You are presented here with a high res - high depth recording where you will hear things you never heard before...and if you are like me then feel things like you never felt them before. 

Two things that did take me a few listens to absorb and get used to are both the vocals vs the instrumentation and the placement of the really low bass frequencies. The vocals are sometime not where I would have expected them and i find them a bit less pronounced than I have heard in the past. This took me a bit to figure out...i don't know why but it just was not what i was used to i guess. For example, the vocal placements are in sharp contrast to the Nat King Cole AP SACD releases which take center stage and almost sit on your lap. The second difference is the insertion of the low bass frequencies. Those beloved deep low bass gut-wrenching frequencies are used sparingly and are highly noticeable when they kick in versus being on all the time.



   I found myself almost waiting for the low end to really kick in and wondered where they would happen. I have the same thing when I listen to the dark side and other SACD's too. The truth is I learned a lot about this recording as I did the Dark Side from the SACD version.

Sonically Guthrie and team did a wonderful job, but It will take your brain a while to get used to this version.

No comments: