...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Monday, February 20, 2012

Santana - Caravanserai (1972)


Santana - Caravanserai (1972), Mobile Fidelity SACD Remaster

For me this IS the Santana album ! 1972's Caravanserai is the prefect mix of Latin American, Rock, Jazz, Fusion and Progressive Rock elements. Joining Carlos is Gregg Rolie (Journey), guitar legend Neal Schon, bassist Doug Raunch and the great drumming of Mike Shrieve who really excels on this album !

And what a great job MoFi did on this SACD remaster. The instrumentation is nice and clean and feels perfect in presentation for my ears. The vocals, guitars, bass, keys and percussion are well balanced across the depths of this recording. This album is also better played at slightly elevated volume levels too where the musical prowess feels more alive and accentuated.

I also really noticed the sonic separation of the hand percussion on this recording and some of the backing vocals where a few times i actually looked behind me as I listened to this recording.

This album is a gem and I have never heard it sound sooooo good....

No comments: