...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Friday, March 16, 2012

Jean Sibelius - Symphonies No. 2 in D & No. 7 in C

Jean Sibelius - Symphonies No. 2 in D and  No. 7 in C , London Philharmonic Orchestra, SACD

  I heard a bit of Symphony No. 7 and immediately ordered this Disc.....

  WOW !   This disc is worth every cent I spent on it ($5.00) and then some!.   For those (like me) who were not too familiar with Sibelius' work let me take a few secs out to provide a bit of a bio on this dude.  Born 1865 - 1957, Jean Sibelius was born in Finland and wrote a number of stunning symphonies in his life time (there see that was painless and not really all that informative!)
  The 2nd and 7th are hugely symphonic and really sound like epic soundtracks as they go along.   The 2nd symphony is his most famous and likely you have heard bits and pieces of this before but the 7th was a pure find and a half.     I will need to hunt down more of the music of this genius ........

No comments: