...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Monday, February 18, 2013

Genesis - Trespass (1970)

Genesis - Trespass

   I remember at one point in my life having to go back and get all the early Genesis albums after hearing "Selling England By The Pound" in all its greatness!   Trespass was an immediate love for me and the song " Stagnation" was and still is amongst my favourite Genesis moments.

     Trespass was really the start of their progressive rock leanings and the opening of Gabriel emoting "looking for someone" clearly sets the stage that this album and genre are marking the beginning of a change.

  With the liberal use of the mellotron, flute, organ, guitar, bass and theatrical lyrics and vocals...this album would begin to help define an entire new genre of music......the progressive rock era!  Song that would tell a story......song that were connected......songs that dared to take the listener to places never visited before.

   Trespass has some simply amazing musical moments and is a very underrated Genesis album far too often over looked and mis-diagnosed.  Of course the band matured and would go on to record more creative and popular albums, but that should not hide the truth that this album stands up well on its own still to this day.

  The SACD master was done by Nick Davis and it is a defite upgrade to my previous recordings.  I have heard things and felt things now that I never experienced before.  The mix is nice and clean with excellent sound seperation and contrast.    For example on the song "Stagnation
" I never really ever heard the clear seperation of the two acoustic guitars that play in synch!

  Fans of Genesis will need to hunt this version down.

No comments: