...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Nash The Slash - American Bandages (1984)

Nash The Slash - American Bandages

  We just lost this icon of Canadian music.....Nash The Slash and there is a hole in my heart.    I had the pleasure of seeing Nash perform many times both with FM and as a solo act including knowing him a but outside of his guise.   I would just like to say that as a fan , I will miss the aura, mystique and music of Nash The Slash.
  To help celebrate Nash I pulled off the shelf my vinyl copy of American Bandages which is my personal favourite of all the Nash solo era albums.  I remember all the guys in my highschool class loving this album for Nash's version of Psychotic Reaction.  I was working in a book store/ comic store/used record store at the time and was able to listen and pick up all of Nash's solo albums.   
   But enough history and lets get to the album........

American Bandages is a wild US pop-driven album featuring a nice collection of tribute songs including "Born To Be Wild", "American Band", Hey Joe" and "Psychotic Reaction".  And in true form to the 80's , Nash included both a regular version and dance version of "1984".   Helping Nash out are his old friends from FM (drummer Martin Deller and synth master Cameron Hawkins).  Nash handles all the lead vocals adding his electric violins, mandolins, synths and sound effects.   Every song is an excellent interpretation  with some cool vibes.  Both side A and side B open with a short famous American bandstand ditty which maintains the theme of the album.

  I will miss you Nash !

No comments: