...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Stereolab - Peng! (1992)

Stereolab - Peng!

  Peng! is a thing of beauty!  KRAFTWERK meets CAN meets The Girl From Ipanema meets Lounge......I mean seriously what an album !

  Peng! was the first full length album released by Stereolab born out of the musical genius of England's Tim Gane and French born singer Laetitda Sadier.  Musically this is "poetic experimentalism" with a heavy dose of Krautrock and trance-like qualities.  Sadier's vocals emit a  surreal like quality to the music while Gane and company explore some pretty vivid musical landscapes.

  Stereolab have always been on the edge.....their music can be challenging and yet very rewarding.  I will admit that they are a bit of an eclectic lot and some of their music can be less accessible, but I found that time and time again when i play their albums (like Peng!) that I am stopped in my tracks.

  Although not vintage 70's Progressive Rock...i would offer that this album still fits the mold of Prog Rock (in a Peng! sort of way)

Brilliant album from start to finish!

No comments: