...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

David Bowie - S/T (1967)

David Bowie - 180g vinyl (mono and stereo)

Years ago I bought Bowie's first album and I was really taken back by just how good it was....i played the album a lot and found the more I listened to it the more I loved it.  Of course this was the stereo CD version which lacked a lot of dynamics and was not very well mastered.

  This 2 LP set features on 180g vinyl both the original mono and stereo version of this gem of a debut album.   Like most of the early mono and stereo version we find the artist had been heavily involved in the mono mastering but less so with the stereo version.  I had never heard the rare mono mix but it is way better IMHO than the stereo version!

  David Bowie was an originator and right from the first song "Uncle Arthur" you know that there is something special about him.

One of my favourite Bowie songs "Sell Me A Coat" is from this debut album which carries a rather brilliant creative English spirit to it.

No comments: