...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Gordon Lightfoot - Sit Down Young Stranger (1970)

Gordon Lightfoot - Sit Down Young Stranger 

  Originally titled "Sit Down Young Stranger" and almost immediatly after re-titled as the better known "If you could read my mind" following the success of this song from the album.   I would hope that everyone has heard this album and is as much in love with this classic folk album as I have been!  

  Lightfoot hit his peak on this album with each song getting that special magic touch as each story is unfolded.   Highlight for me are "Approaching Lavender" and perhaps my favourite folk song of all time "If You Could Read My Mind".

The album was recorded with the trio of Lightfoot, Red Shea (guitar) and Rick haynes (bass) with string arrangements by Randy Newman and Nick DeCaro and guest assistance from Ry Cooder, Van Dyke Parks and John B. Sebastian.

 This is a beautiful album that I still adore as much now as when I first heard it.......

An essential album

No comments: