...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Gillian Welch - Soul Journey (2003)

Gillian Welch - Soul Journey, Stony Plain Records,  (2003)

  If you are not familiar with the soulful and expressive voice of Gillain Welch then you need to be !  Soul Journey is the 4th album by this folk-country singer songwriter and is an album I just can't stop playing.    Songs like "I Had a Real good mother and father" simply makes me stop in my tracks.   Producer David Rawlings is the other part of this genius and patnership.  For me one of the things I really find really interesting is the parallel to the early music of Neil Young with acoustic guitars and soul driven vocals.  "I Made A Lovers Prayer" is one of the most personal songs I have heard in a long time.  No question this is a very special album deserving your attention. 

No comments: