...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Decemberists - The King Is Dead (2011)

The Decemberists - The King Is Dead, EMI Records (2011)

  After their huge concept album I was worried that the famous "Third album syndrome" might just settle in, BUT I am pleased to say that it has not !   The King Is Dead is a much more relaxed and incredibly less progressive recording than its predecessor and I guarantee will fetch lots of medicore reviews but not from me.  I love this album and have been spinning it for the past weeks with each listen drawing me in closer to its beauty.  Without a question Colin Meloy is a genius and a singer songwriter who knows how to create energy in music.   This time Colin and Co. are joined by Peter Buck of REM fame and one of my favs Gillian Welch.   Mostly laid back soft tones and fitting for the Pandarvis ranch !   If you are going to buy this release make sure you get the CD & DVD set as the 35 mins Pendarvis Video is a great view. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Could not hear the fucking jpeg!!!