...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Billy Joel - Piano Man (1973)

Billy Joel - Piano Man (1973) SACD

Billy Joel's "Piano Man" is an album that I think just about everyone grew up listening to......or if not then everyone has heard the title track umpteenmillion times!   But the fact is that this album is just so much more than that great piano bar infused mega-hit!

  "Piano Man" is a little bit pop.....a litle bit country.....a little bit folk....and a little bit rock..

  The "Ballad of Billy The Kid" or "Somewhere Along The Line" for example could have been lifted off any of the early Elton John albums with a full fusion of piano, honky tonk'isms, pop , rock and orchestra.

  This is the 2010 Mobile Fidelity SACD version mastered from the original master tapes using their Gain 2 system which has produced some other excellent discs.   I was greatly impressed with Mofi's other Billy Joel's SACD's and this one I feel is equal to them.  This may be the warmest and most balanced recording actaully of all the Mofi's I own.   At higher volumes this disc just keeps its warmth and richness.  At times I can hear things that only a high res recording like this could possibly reveal with as much definition as it does.

   I especially love  the tone and mix of the bass on this recording........nice and definite with deep plunks.....

  My personal favourite song on the album is "Captain Jack" which I think really ends this album on a "high" note.........get it ?

The music is fantastic.....and so is the sound !


No comments: