...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Joe Jackson - Body and Soul (1984)



Joe Jackson - Body and Soul

  My first real time seeing Joe Jackson live on Saturday Night Live made me take notice of this artist. I will admit Joe Jackson is a bit of an acquired taste and I am not a mega huge fan of all his work but "Body and Soul" sure stands out as an excellent album!   Jackson mixes soul, jazz, rock and pop to create a very memorable art rock album that offers a lot on one album.

   In a total ode to the great Blue Note and Verve jazz album covers, Jackson sets the record up as a vintage replica with a head shot clutching his sax to a sepia colored album.
  Body and soul was digitally mastered and recorded and is an audiophile discovery for sure !
  This album sounds great with so many different instruments and so many cool songs and tempo shifts.  I love the percussion on this album too which really stands out.
   The big hit from this album was "be my number two" which i remember well from the 80's and my highschool dances.
 Overall an excellent album and IMHO his finest moment.....absolutely essential.

No comments: