...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Punch Brothers - Who's Feeling Young Now? (2012)

The Punch Brothers - Who's Feeling Young Now?

   "Movement and Location" grabbed me right from the opening few seconds and without a pause this album just took me over!     One of my best friends recommended this album to me and boy-oh-boy am I ever glad I picked this one up!  "Who's Feeling Young Now" is an album that literally made me stop in my tracks ....its just that good!

   The Punch Brothers stars Chris Thile that you may know from the band Nickel Creek who sings and adds some fantastic mandolin and compliments Chris Eldridge's guitar, Paul Kowert's standup bass, Noam Pikelny's twangy banjo and Gabe Witchers's fine fiddling!

  Their combined sound is perhaps best described as progressive bluegrass......really !    They are hard to peg really and play a soulful bluegrass with a soft rock influence and a somewhat alternative demeanor.  Vocally at times they remind me a bit of Scotland's Travis with a slight country alt-rock twang.

  What i think really distinguishes The Punch Brothers is their creative approach to their songs and each song is really unique and yet this remains a pretty cohensive album.  Muscially these 5 guys are amazing and I would highly recommend this album to all music lovers.
  The title tune and "Hundred Dollars" are my favourite song from the album if I had to pick 2......
  Go get this album!!!!!!

No comments: