...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Friday, March 15, 2013

King Crimson - Discipline (40th Anniversary)

King Crimson - Discipline (40th Anniversary)

  Discipline was one of the Big 3 King Crimson albums I was into while at University.   I would oscillate between "Beat" and "3 of A Perfect Pair" and "Discipline" as to which one was the best.  I still can't make up my mind to be honest but no question the Belew era Crimson are special albums and Discipline is a masterpiece!

  Fripp, Belew, Levin and Bruford....how can you go wrong !

Discipline is an album that manages to cover a pretty wide territory ranging from the gentle space caverns of "Matte Kudasai" to the power prog darkness of "Indiscipline" to the quirky and almost laughable at times "Elephant Talk".
  
This album is oozing in creativity and originality and there really no other album like this that I have ever heard.  The 5.1 Mix was remastered by Porcupine Tree's Steve Wilson and although I am not a huge 5.1 surround fan when it comes to music I must admit this version is pretty cool.

   The remastering here is way better than my previous EG RBCD copy offering much deeper sounding
grooves and more reminiscent of my vinyl copy.  I hear things in a way for example on "Matte Kudasai" that I have never heard before and you can really feel the Fripp space atmospheres on this mix.

 

    

No comments: