...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Monday, March 18, 2013

Phoebe Snow - Something Real (1989)

Phoebe Snow - Something Real (1989)

  My first exposure to Phoebe was in one of my old bosses office who loved Phoebe and played her music from time to time.  I borrowed his CD and had to start huntng down Phoebe!

   Her debut album has become a favourite of mine (Shelter Records) and Something Real as her first LP for Elektra Records.

  Phoebe plays a jazz-blues-pop style that is somewhere in the Carole King vein with more emphasis on the guitar vs the piano.  Her voice is not picture perfect (like King's) but it just really works for me and I actually quite like her expressionisms and use of tone on her songs.

  The song "we might never feel this way again" is my fav from this album marking a distinct breakaway from her vintage blues soul sound and a take on pure ballad pop.......and the crazy thing is that it works for me!

  There is just something real about this album!

No comments: