...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Monday, March 18, 2013

Prokofiev - Peter and the Wolf (narrator: Hermione Gingold)

Prokofiev - Peter and the Wolf (narrator: Hermione Gingold) 

   When i was a very young kiddie-boo-boo my very musical Grandpa Jim gave me for my birthday this record.  I sat for hours listening and re-listening to this album and remember just loving this story put to the enchanted sounds of Russian composer Serge Prokofiev. 

   The whole piece is narrated by Hermione Gingold who has one of the most picturesque voices of all times.  Her reading of this old tale is truely amazing and as crazy as it sounds I think this really a magical little album to this day....I guess its my memories and an extra special album.  Gingold actually won a Grammy Award for Best Album for Children for Prokofiev: Peter and the Wolf and Saint-Saëns: Carnival of the Animals album!

  The Vienna Philharmonic was conducted by Karl Bohm and the album pressed on Deutsche Grammophon with great audio fidelity.  

  The story is compelling, the music is awesome and the narration is just ideal for this little tale.

No comments: