...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Friday, November 2, 2012

Sonny Rollins - Way Out West SACD (1957)

Sonny Rollins - Way Out West SACD

I will admit that I was shocked to see that there are THREE version of "Way Out West" on SACD.....Analogue Productions, Japan SHM and this one on Fantasy (Hong Kong). Gee there are about 5 million albums I'd love on SACD and yet there are 3 separate versions of this one alone.......kinda crazy....
Anywho.......let me just say that I am big fan of Sonny Rollins and think that "Way Out West" is one of his great albums! I was a bit unsure if I should really own another version of this but with all the great reviews I decided to give it a try...and I am soooooo glad I did.

I can not compare this version to the Japan or APO SACD releases but can say that I think this one is very good. The quality of the mix is actually quite amazing with great instrument separation and superb clear sound. This recording is warmer and smoother than the RBCD Remaster on Impulse I own and some of Rollins' sax feels like he is right in your living room playing beside you!

On "come, gone" at the end there is some wild sax stereo panning going on (the 2 channel mix) and right at the end it is almost like Sonny turns and faces you as the listener.....it was almost like he had his back turned and then at the end shifted around......never heard anything quite like that before and dont recall that on the RBCD.

I love the distinct drumming with such clarity in the left speaker while Rollings cherps away on the far right...while the bass is mid-left channel. This is really a fun recording and the great depth and stereo effects makes this SACD a real winner.

The recording engineer was Roy DuNann who I think did a great job on the SACD mastering.

No comments: