...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Bobbi Humphrey - Blacks and Blues (1973)

Bobbi Humphrey - Blacks and Blues
   Funk and soul collides in a way that you have never heard....all under a cascade of neon flute !

    My first encounter with Miss Humphrey was on 1974's Satin Doll which I just loved and had to find more music by this jazz flautist !

  Blacks and Blues was her 3rd album and the first to feature her as a singer in addition to flautist !   I think she was really just following up on what Donald Byrd was doing at the same time with BLACKBYRD.   This parallel to Donald Byrd also includes Humphrey employing the help from Fonce and Larry Mizell on this album.
  
      I love the spacey keyboards (Fred Perren), flute and lite-funk back drop that covers this whole album.   It is really a funky album with soul bits and even some light fusion.
  And of course my favorute "Sound effects"......yup.......Bobbi Humphrey uses them to open up side one and add another very cool almost psychy aspect this this great jazz album.

  
  
   
  


No comments: