...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed (1967)

The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed SACD

  For me this is where it all really started.....the dawn of progressive rock !     With a full mix of orchestra and the soft rock sounds of the Moody Blues, this album has been an album of a lifetime for me.  I have owned this album umpteen times over the years.....vinyl...then CDs and then SACD.

     On this album the Moody Blues first introduced us to the wild combination of the orchestra and the illustrious mellotron....and stringed keyboard instrument that sounds like a whole stringed section and would be adopted by Progressive Rock bands from Genesis to King Crimson to Anglagard today.

      This was one of the first SACD's I owned and after hearing this version I was hooked on the format.   I really had never heard this album until I heard the quad mix as presented on this SACD!....it is just that good.   In 1972 with the invention of quadraphonic technology Decca Records commissioned Tony Clarke and Derek Varnals to revisit the early Moody Blues albums and remix them in living Quadraphonic sound.  Sadly quadraphonic never really took off and these treasured remixes sat for years until the advent of SACD and Surround Sound.  The good news is that all the classic Moody albums that got the Quad treatment back in the 70's  have been re-released on SACD by DERAM for you and I to enjoy....and they all sound great !  ...and you can still order these SACD in the catalogues.
         
    This is the definite version of  "Days of Future Passed".     

No comments: