...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Pretenders - Pretenders (1979)

Pretenders - Pretenders

  The Pretenders debut album is a pinnacle recording fusing punk and 70's rock genres to perfection.  This was my introduction to Chrissie Hynde and I remember cranking this LP on my stereo and thnking that this was something I had never heard before.   The Pretenders play an aggressive and hard hitting album that stops every now and then for a pop hook or two.  Songs like "Up The Neck" and "Brass in Pocket" take a softer more radio friendly sound vs the "punk infused" songs like "Precious" and "Tattooed Love Boys".

  Hynde delivers an emotive tough-girl vocal style which fits the aggressive fast paced explosion of the songs featured on this album.

No comments: