...this blog captures in order the albums as I pull these gems off the shelf and groove to them .....

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Quincy Jones & Band - I Dig Dancers (1961)

Quincy Jones & Band - I Dig Dancers

  Wow!!.....here is an album you just gotta hear!  1960 Quincy Jones and his huge arsenal of musicians.  Even for 1960 this album was considered aged with Jones electing to recreate the golden age of dance jazz aka Duke Ellington and Benny Goodman...

I Dig Dancers was mostly recorded in Paris and fans of Whats My Line will get a chickle that Dorothy Killgallen endorsed  this album on the back cover!

I Dig Dancers! is almost too good to believe. Simply consider the line-up, featuring Benny Bailey and Clark Terry on trumpets, Jimmy Cleveland, Åke Persson, Melba Liston, Quentin Jackson on trombones, Phil Woods, Jerome Richardson, Budd Johnson and Sahib Shihab on saxes, Patti Bown on piano and Les Spann on guitar and flute. It amounts to a jazz lover’s dream orchestra, assembled to accompany the European tour of Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer’s Free and Easy

This album is alive a feels just so cool and hip!   I grew up listening to jazz and Sinatra with Nelson Riddle and Billy May and my mom used to show me the bug Bam boom stuff they do!   

No comments: